Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

Blood Worries

Ok, so I'm in the homestretch as far as completing my hormone blood series. Been having a blood draw every other day for over 2 weeks now, and I have only one more draw to go, coming up on Wednesday.

Saturday I did the draw where instead of taking just one vial like all the other draws, they take 2 vials because I was Peak +7 on Saturday and that's the day they test the blood for about 10 different things. The directions say they need the serum to be separated into 5 little vials after the blood clots and the blood is spun down. So Saturday morning I took in the 5 little empty vials that the lab in Omaha gave me to my local hospital, and explained to the lab tech and showed her the sheet that tells about needing the serum to be separated into 5 vials. She seemed confused at first but appeared to finally understand. So I gave blood and was on my way. Next I went to the laundromat to do our laundry as our washer shot craps about a week ago and we're still waiting on the repairman. Blah.

This morning, I went in again to have another blood draw and a different tech, not the one from Saturday, asked me if I brought in 5 vials Saturday. I said yes, and asked why.... She replied that there was only 1 vial there in the freezer.  I went numb and about had a meltdown.

She drew my blood and I asked again about Saturday's draw and she said she would "keep looking" for the other 4 vials. I wanted to open up a can of whoop ass on everyone in the lab, but I bit my tongue. She gave me the name of the lab manager and advised that I call her later.

I drove to work in a haze. Would I have to do the Peak +7 draw again? Would I have to do the whole series again next month??   That didn't bear thinking about.

I got to work and called the hormone lab at PPVI.  I spoke to Jan in the lab and she was very nice (as everyone is at PPVI) and said that it sounded like they didn't get the serum divided into the 5 vials but put it all in 1 vial, and if that was the case it would be ok and they would make it work.   She was very reassuring.

So then I called my local hospital and spoke to the lab manager. She said she thought that all the serum was put in just one vial. Sigh....  Crisis averted. Then we talked about mailing the serum after my last blood draw on Wednesday and she's going to help me with that.

So after Wednesday I'll be done giving blood, and none too soon either - my veins are so tired.  I'm going to overnight my serum and PPVI will have it by Thursday.

Anyone know how long it takes to hear back from PPVI with the results of all the bloodwork?

Have a Blessed day all!

Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment